Monday, July 07, 2008

Sweet Sandwich Of Creamy Coffee















One perfect recipe of a butter cake, strong medium roast espresso by Illy, snowlike powder sugar and creamy butter. These are the words to describe this sandwich of a dessert.

I was left with six yolks from my experiment with the "Nemisis" using the French meringue method. With yolks to use, I decided to go back to Rose for her recipe of All-Occasion Downy Yellow Cake which I took from her award winning book published in 1988. The cake is light and yet buttery and it goes well with any type of frosting.
Espresso Butter Frosting
1 cup butter
4 cups icing sugar sifted
2 T espresso
1 teaspoon coffee extract
On slow speed, beat butter till creamy. Add icing sugar little by little. Add the espresso and continue to mix till creamy consistency is achieved.

One thing that still amazes me is how with a slight change of ratio of butter, flour, eggs and sugar; one can get a different variety of butter cakes. I have a weakness for butter cakes. It always brings me back to the younger days where my mom would bake a loaf of her delicious yellow cake for tea or for the weekend. The smell of sweet butter vanilla scented treat would linger in the kitchen for hours.

For this treat, I decided to try a mixture of coffee creamy frosting, and sprinkle it with silver beads of regular and mini sizes to create what is my tribute to Jenn A. Dior dress to the Golden Globes in 2003. A perfect excuse to finish the beady sprinkles and yolk in the house :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home